Saturday, June 19, 2010

England unlikely to win World Cup, shock


In what must have been the most tortuous game of soccer I think I have ever had the displeasure of witnessing, at least since the last World Cup, the England team once again failed to perform despite being filled by some of the alleged best soccer players, in the world. (You have to say that last bit like Jeremy Clarkson.)

These world-class players are very lucky in that they can still rescue the situation by beating Slovenia in their final group game, but I wouldn't bet my house on it.

Oh well, there's always 2014.

It seems that the expensive Capello magic has stopped working. Has he fallen for the old England manager trap of refusing to do the obvious thing (i.e pairing Rooney with Gerrard, removing Heskey, and bringing on Joe Cole from the left)? Or is he incapable of doing anything except 4-4-2? Hmmm....

There's obviously something very wrong in the heart of the England camp.

One wag I was with last night said, 'all they need is a goal, that's all I'm looking for.'

Personally, I'd be happy with a completed pass from midfield.

Shocking.

I think, however, that there's one thing for certain. Despite even Henley On Thames being festooned with cars bearing England flags, if England do win this year's World Cup, then the greatest miracle on Earth will have occurred since Moses split the waters of the Red Sea.

Don't, in other words, hold your breath.

No wonder I prefer rugby.

No comments: