Friday, February 09, 2007

The State of Lost

Well, I don't know about you, Pilgrims, but I'm having a great time at the moment. After working hard all day trying to efficiently direct capital into the right hands in the City of London, whilst trying to legally avoid handing any of my personal profit to the state, I'm coming home to some great entertainment on the goggle box.

We've already had a great coverage of 24 on mises.org and I've talked about Battlestar Galactica below, but what about 'Lost'?

It's starting again on Sunday and I, for one, can't wait. Yes, I wish they'd get on with it and just get on the hell with explaining who the others are, but what I really love about 'Lost' is the Robinson Crusoe economics. We have one totally voluntary society on one side of the island (the good guys), and one coercively organized bad guy society on the other side of the island (the others).

And here's the strange thing. The good guys would like to get back to a society, on the mainland, run on the same lines as the society ran by the bad guys. (Or would they?) But then again, some of them wouldn't like to. Which is kinda interesting. Strangely, most of the good guys have also got problems with the state governments in their home lands, which may be keeping them on the island. Or maybe not?

I find it intriguing. (As well as wondering if Jack will get off with the blonde chick, especially after Sawyer's rampant escapades with Kate.)

I also feel sure that this curious 'Crusoe Economics' link isn't entirely coincidental. If any scriptwriters of 'Lost' would like to write in and admit their ownership of 'Man, Economy, and Sate', I promise not to hold it against you.

No comments: