Sunday, June 01, 2008

It was emotional

Despite being a hard-core anarcho-capitalist and dedicated Rothbardian, plus a total opponent of most forms of democracy, I've still found time in the last few weeks to support Jodie Prenger in her bid to become Nancy in Cameron Mackintosh's forthcoming production of 'Oliver'. As someone who has struggled myself with a prediliction for fine Belgian beers and pomme frites to go with my mussels, I've been right behind her all the way, and as Cameron Mackintosh himself said, I was 'thrilled' when Jodie won on Saturday. Marvellous. Not a dry eye in the house. Alas, I suspect Mr Mackintosh is regretting saying that 'Jessie is Nancy', which cast rather an early pall over his initial relationship with Jodie, but I still hope that despite his comment she does indeed have what it takes to become a big West End star. However, before the curtain goes up, and despite his obvious preference for the less matronly Jessie, I'm certain that Mr Mackintosh will have got Jodie back down to the size 10 she reached two years ago (below) after losing over 100 pounds. I'm not normally one for the West End myself, but I think in this show's case I will make an exception and pay up the bunce for a decent ticket in the first couple of months, if I can get my hands on some. As the only one of the twelve original hopefuls who regularly made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, I'm sure it will be worth every penny. But Rowan Atkinson as Fagin? That's just going to be weird.

No comments: