Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Spock Austrian Files: Log Report I

I had the great fortune to be given a DVD collection of the first season of Star Trek, for Christmas. I thought it might be interesting to record memorable Spock quotes, as they occurred in the series. I shall log each one as I come to it. The following one is fascinating. Spock is discussing with Bones the subject of human penal colonies, in Dagger of the Mind, written by S. Bar-David, which also guest stars the stunning Marianna Hill as Dr. Helen Noel:
Interesting. Your Earth people glorify organized violence for forty centuries. But you imprison those who employ it privately.
This quote is not just Misesian. This particular Spock quote could almost be Hoppeian.

Just so as to be even-handed, I will also try to record anything memorable he says which could be construed as Marxoid. When I have eventually got through all three original series (I have never liked the films and I would sell them on eBay if I got one for Christmas), I shall take a straw poll tally of memorable Spock 1960s quotes, with Liberty vs. Statism as the yardstick. I am betting Liberty will win. Let the DVDs roll.

Current Overall Score: Liberty 1..0 Statism
Current Writer's Score for S. Bar-David: Liberty 1..0 Statism

No comments: